How to Stop Your Dog From Being Bored…
What is going on with your dog? All of a sudden he/she has become destructive, chewing up shoes or other household items that were previously left alone, digging up your flower beds, barking unnecessarily, whining, licking excessively, pacing and seeming lethargic or restless. This is not your dog’s typical behavior patterns…maybe he’s just plain bored.
Dogs are like kids, when they have nothing to do that interests or stimulates them, they get bored, and they too will often exhibit less than desirable behavior, they get into things they shouldn’t, they try things they shouldn’t or they play with things they shouldn’t. The main difference is, your dog can’t verbally tell you he’s bored, so it’s up to you to be aware of what he’s doing. Oftentimes when Fido is acting out of character, he’s simply looking for something to do. Busy pets are really happier pets…
Ideas to help your dog get rid of the boredoms:
- Probably the #1 thing you should be doing for your dog, is making sure he is getting enough good physical exercise, he’s got pent up energy, and if you don’t help him get rid of it, he’ll find a way to do it himself, (and it will probably be an activity you don’t approve of.)
- Along with physical exercise, it’s also important for him to also have mental exercise, or stimulation. There are some great puzzle toys on the market for dogs. Many of them are toys that the dog needs to figure out how to get food out of the toy. They can contain either regular food or special treats. This will keep them busy for awhile.
- Dogs like daily routines. Because, again, a lot like humans, dogs are creatures of habit, so it’s helpful for your dog to have routines they can count on that helps them understand what is expected of them and gives them a sense of security:
- To eat at the same time of day
- To exercise at the same time of day
- To rest at the same time of day, typically after having exercised
- If you’re gone a lot during the day, or you are unable to give him the exercise he needs, you should consider hiring Mary at BowWow Fun Towne to come walk your dog.
- Have you ever thought of scheduling a “puppy play date” where a couple of canine buddies can get together for awhile?
- You can sign your pup up for some training sessions. This will stimulate his mind, and probably tire him out. Did you know that 15 minutes of training is equal to about 2 hours of physical playing?
Boredom can happen a lot when a dog is left home alone for long periods of time, so if you find you are leaving your pooch home alone too often, too long, do yourself and your dog a favor, and consider using a doggie day care, you’ll both be happier.
At BowWow Fun Towne, we are experts in dog day care. We are dedicated to assisting you and providing the best care for your dog while you’re away.
Your dog won’t get bored here!