Holiday Safety Tips for Your Dog
Although I posted this article a while ago, with the holidays here again, I thought it might be a good idea to revisit the information.
First it was Halloween, then Thanksgiving, and now Christmas and New Years are just around the corner…it’s time for those ever so important reminders for keeping your dog safe during this upcoming holiday season.
Many people like to include their dogs during their holiday festivities…and although this is a fun idea, there are many things that could prove hazardous to your “best friend” if you’re not aware of them.
As you look around your home…
Be aware of the extra decorations and treats that are everywhere during the holiday season. Things that are fine and safe for you, aren’t necessarily fine and safe for your dog.
One dog we know of was able to get the family’s advent calendar down and ripped it apart, eating all the candy inside, destroying all of the other little treasures…luckily none of them were poisonous to him (this time). A good holiday for your dog is a safe holiday!
Another dog we know, really upset the kids in the family when, because they had left it within his reach, he ate their pride and joy, the gingerbread house they had just created.
And yet another pooch discovered a large package of small chocolate candy bars intended for the kids’ Christmas stockings, and although it was set up on a counter, he found a way to get at it, and ate all the candy bars. Not only is this frustrating, but since it was chocolate, it was dangerous for the dog to ingest.
Are these stories the dog’s fault? Of course not…they were just enjoying a sudden “opportunity”. Sometimes it’s a challenge, but when you have a dog, or other pets in your home, it’s important to remember to keep those “opportunities” totally out of reach.
Keeping your furry friends safe:
- While protecting your Christmas tree from your dog (or your cat), you need to also protect your dog from your tree.
- Make sure the tree is secure and won’t fall or get knocked over.
- The water in your tree, though it may be inviting to your dog, isn’t good for them to drink, it may contain fertilizers and bacteria, so somehow make it inaccessible to Fido.
- Keep electrical cords tucked away to prevent electric shock.
- I’ve known dogs who chew on electrical cords
- Broken ornaments can cut mouths and throats.
- A favorite on Christmas trees is tinsel, but if your pup eats it, it could get stuck in his throat or even in the digestive tract.
- Burning candles left unattended is a “sure-fire” way to increase the risk of having them knocked over by wagging tails, causing damage and injury.
- Last year, in 2018, a man and his dog were living in a space in a warehouse…one night the man left, leaving his dog at home and a candle burning. The fire department thinks the candle got knocked over, probably by the dog…it burnt down the entire warehouse and took the dog’s life.
- If eaten, mistletoe, poinsettias and holly are dangerous to your pet, they can cause, vomiting, nausea or diarrhea, and even more extreme…cardiovascular problems. Even Christmas trees can cause an upset stomach, not to mention that the pine needles are sharp and can cause damage and pain going down.
- When it comes to food:
- Chocolate should never be eaten by your dog; chocolate is toxic to him/her and sometimes fatal.
- Be careful of your pet’s holiday feast, if you do indulge them in “human” food, be sure that it is not high in fat, sodium or sugar, and definitely make sure it’s boneless. There are some good tips for holiday feasts in our Thanksgiving article.
- Be vigilant to protect your dog from turkey bones.
- Never, never, never give alcoholic beverages to your pet. Although some people may think it’s comical, it’s toxic for your dog.
- Choosing a gift for your dog’s stocking is fun, just make sure you choose one that’s safe.
- New Years Eve is fun for you, but not for your dog…just like on the 4th of July, the noise frightens them and hurts their ears.
Safe Celebrations are Happy Celebrations
Holiday celebrations are really enjoyed more by people than pets…they really won’t care if you don’t involve them. But if you choose to include them in your celebrations, watch out for their safety.
If you’re traveling for the holidays, call now to reserve a friendly place for your dog to stay…reservations are filling up fast.