Holiday Safety Tips for Your Dog
Although I posted this article a while ago, with the holidays here, I thought it might be a good idea to revisit the information.
Many people want to include their dogs during their holiday festivities…and although this is a great idea, there are some things that could prove hazardous to your “best friend”.
As you look around your home, be aware of the extra decorations and treats that are everywhere during the holiday season. Things that are fine and safe for you, aren’t necessarily fine and safe for your dog.
One dog we know of was able to get the family’s advent calendar down and ripped it apart, eating all the candy inside, destroying all of the other little treasures…luckily none of them were poisonous to him (this time). A good holiday for your dog is a safe holiday!
Another dog we know really upset the kids when he ate their pride and joy, the gingerbread house they had just created because they had left it within his reach.
Are these two stories the dog’s fault? Of course not…they were just enjoying a sudden “opportunity”. Sometimes it’s a challenge, but when you have a dog, or other pets in your home, it’s important to remember to keep those “opportunities” up out of reach.
Keeping your furry friends safe:
- While protecting your Christmas tree from your dog (or your cat), you need to also protect your dog from your tree.
- Make sure the tree is secure and won’t fall over.
- The water in your tree, though inviting to your dog, isn’t good for them to drink, it may contain fertilizers and bacteria.
- Keep electrical cords tucked away to prevent electric shock.
- Broken ornaments can cut mouths and throats.
- A favorite on Christmas trees is tinsel, but if “Fido” eats it, it could get stuck in his throat or even in the digestive tract.
- Burning candles left unattended is a “sure-fire” way to increase the risk of having them knocked over by wagging tails, causing damage and injury.
- If eaten, mistletoe, poinsettias and holly are dangerous to your pet, they can cause, vomiting, nausea or diarrhea, and even more extreme…cardiovascular problems.
- When it comes to food:
- Chocolate should never be eaten by your dog; chocolate is toxic to them and sometimes fatal.
- Be careful of your pet’s holiday feast, if you do indulge them in “human” food, be sure that it is not high in fat, sodium or sugar, and definitely make sure it’s boneless..
- Be vigilant to protect your dog from turkey bones.
- Never, never, never give alcoholic beverages to your pet. Although some people may think it’s comical, it’s toxic for your dog.
- Choosing a gift for your dog’s stocking is fun, just make sure you choose one that’s safe.
- New Years Eve is fun for you, but not for your dog…just like on the 4th of July,the noise frightens them and hurts their ears.
Safe Celebrations are Happy Celebrations
Holiday celebrations are really enjoyed more by people than pets…they really won’t care if you don’t involve them. But if you choose to include them in your celebrations, watch out for their safety.
From everyone here at BowWow Fun Towne…have a wonderful and safe holiday!
If you’re traveling for the holidays, call now to reserve a friendly place for your dog to stay…reservations are filling up fast.
***originally published 12/5/12