Is There a Dog Breed for Allergy Sufferers?
You want a dog, but you’re allergic, so no dogs in your home! You’re not alone, about 10% of Americans are allergic to dogs. People love dogs, they love them for companionship, security, unconditional love and so many other reasons…but so many people have asthma or allergies that prevent them from getting near dogs, let alone having one. Typically the allergic reaction is brought on by a dog’s saliva, the dander from their skin, or urine. Although many think the allergy comes from a dog’s fur, it does not.
It’s estimated by the Humane Society that there are about 78.2 million dogs in homes across the United States…people love their dogs! The good news for you is…there are dog breeds considered “hypoallergenic” that are less allergenic. Although there isn’t a breed that can be called 100% hypoallergenic, there are several breeds that are non-shedding, whose coats produce less dander, and are a possible solution for those who have allergies.
Best Dog Breeds For People With Allergies…
Remember, no two allergies are the same, and no two dogs (even within the same breed) are the same, so if you suffer from allergies and want to try one of these breeds, spend some time with the pups you are considering, see how you react before you make your final choice.
- Poodle – The poodle is a well-known and well-loved dog that comes in 3 sizes, Toy, Miniature and Standard, so there is a size that can meet your needs. Poodles are very smart, active and loving. They require daily exercise and have a coat that doesn’t shed, but needs regular grooming, which keeps what little dander they do have down to a minimum.
- Labradoodle – A Poodle and Labrador mix, the soft fluffy hair of a Labradoodle is more like wool than fur, which helps to keep the allergens they might pick up to a minimum. These smart, fun, family dogs are low to non-shedding and are more low risk to allergy sufferers than hypoallergenic.
- Bichon Frise – These dogs are very well-known and do not shed regularly. They are small dogs that make wonderful family pets and are typically great with cats, other dogs and children. Although their beautiful coat takes a good amount of grooming and brushing, this works in the allergy sufferer’s best interest, because it helps keep any dander down. They are thought of as one of the best hypoallergenic dogs you can get.
- Portuguese Water Dog – This is a working dog, originally bred to work with the Portuguese fishermen, a happy breed that sheds very little and produces minimal dander. This is intelligent and calm dog doesn’t have an undercoat, making them less likely to shed. Although they aren’t considered high maintenance, they do need their coat brushed 2-3 times a week.
- Yorkshire Terrier – These cute, little dogs are one of the most popular breeds, and they don’t have fur…instead their coat is hair that is very similar to a human’s, and they don’t shed the same as most other dogs. This dog is great for allergy sufferers and are loving and great as a family pet. Their beautiful coat does need to be kept trimmed and clean, which will only ensure no allergy issues.
- Miniature Schnauzer – Another popular breed, known to be family friendly and for their intelligence and obedience. This little dog is a great watch dog, that actually does have 2 coats, both working together to prevent shedding. Bathing them every few weeks will remove excess hair on the undercoat as well as any dander that may be lurking there.
- Cavachon – A relatively new breed of dog, related to the Bichon Frise is a great family pet. They are playful, gentle, loving and great with children and any other pets you might have. Like the Bichon Frise, they have coats that are considered hypoallergenic, and a great choice for the allergy sufferer.
- Italian Greyhound – This beautiful dog has very little hair and very seldom sheds. These dogs are very loyal, loving, and playful. Although they are a very low maintenance dog, they are a great dog for people who have allergies.
- Maltese – Another of the small breeds of dogs whose beautiful hair does not have an undercoat and very little dander. This sweet little dog is not only loving and full of energy, but can be very protective of their owners.
- Shih Tzu – This popular family dog has a very friendly temperament and loves affection. Typically, the only time they shed is when they are being brushed, which makes it almost an impossibility for their dander to become airborne. Keeping them groomed and trimmed is very important to keep their great coat under control.
These are some of the most hypoallergenic breeds of dogs, that may solve your problem of not being able to have a dog because of allergies. Remember, there isn’t a breed that is 100% hypoallergenic, but they can lessen your chances of having an allergic reaction.
At BowWow Fun Towne, we take your dog’s safety and health seriously, and have strict guidelines for our canine guests to have the proper vaccinations
Dogs are our business, and our friends, and we understand how important your dog is to you.
We are experts in dog day care – We are have a Puppy Preschool…it would be great to enroll your pup! Our facility features a full size swimming pool for fun and exercise.