How To Choose The Right Dog Groomer
Does your dog need to be groomed, even if he/she has short hair or stays indoors and clean? The answer to that question is “Yes”. All dogs need a certain amount of grooming on a regular basis. Good grooming is as important as and part of good health. And whether you do them yourself or you take your pooch to a professional groomer, they need such things as:
- nail trimming
- ear cleaning
- teeth cleaning
Fido is a member of your family, an important member, so if you are going to have someone other than yourself do his grooming, you will want to select just the right groomer…someone who will treat him kind, carefully and skillfully.
Typically there are no licensing requirements for dog groomers, so you will want to do some research yourself before you drop your pup off at a new groomer’s for the first time.
What to look for in a Dog Groomer…
- Start by getting recommendations from friends who take their dogs to groomers. You can also ask your veterinarian, or if you use a day care, dog walker or kennel, you can ask those who work there for referrals.
- Check online reviews.
- Once you have decided upon a groomer you would like to try out, when making your appointment, you could ask these questions:
- Ask to see their facility – check for smell, cleanliness, sturdy grooming tables and good lighting.
- Ask what services they provide.
- Ask if you are able to watch while your dog is being groomed.
- Ask if they belong to any grooming organizations or associations.
- Ask about their certifications.
- Ask about the grooming products and tools they use to make sure they are high quality and gentle.
- Ask if they are experienced in grooming your dog’s breed. Many breeds have particular grooming needs and things to look for.
- Once your dog’s grooming is completed, where will he be kept until you arrive to pick him up?
- Does the groomer have any dog first-aid knowledge, and do they carry liability insurance?
- When you pick Fido up after his “beauty appointment” watch how he and the groomer interact.
At BowWow Fun Towne, dogs are our business, and our friends, and we understand how important your dog is to you. We provide full or partial grooming services
We are experts in dog day care – We have a Puppy Preschool that would be great to enroll your pup in! Our facility features a full size swimming pool for fun and exercise.